Episcopal to host John Cooper Tuesday
The Episcopal boys basketball team is looking like one of the Division I favorites in the Southwest Preparatory Conference.
The Knights, coached by Bobby Sanders, have one of the premier outside-inside combinations in sophomore guard Ken Williams and 6-foot-10 senior post Sirius Berwanger, not to mention a talented, young supporting cast.
But maneuvering through the South Zone won't be easy. Episcopal will host a dangerous John Cooper team on Tuesday night at Crum Gym. The Knights need to win to stay in the top half of the South Zone; another loss and the Dragons are likely headed to Division II.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: John Cooper Dragons at Episcopal Knights
• When: 7 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 25
• Where: Crum Gym, Episcopal
• What's at stake: The teams are fighting to finish among the top four in the SPC's South Zone.
• John Cooper players to watch: F Kevin Camstra, PG Avery Johnson Jr., F Chris Demetriades, F Joe Jared, G Karim Asi, G Jake Seefeldt, G Derek Tam.
• Episcopal players to watch: G Ken Williams, P Sirius Berwanger, G Cullen Munz, G Cameron Williams, F Austin Robinson, F Derek Hunicke, F Kendall Ramlal.
• John Cooper: The Dragons lost to Austin St. Stephen's 65-51 and Austin St. Andrew's 82-73, slipping to 0-2 in the South Zone. Camstra and Johnson are John Cooper's leading scorers, putting up 12 and 11 points, respectively.
• Episcopal: The Knights whipped Houston Christian 58-39 and swept Austin schools St. Andrew's and St. Stephen's by respective scores of 60-37 and 54-52. Williams, one of the conference's top players, is only a sophomore, but he's averaging a team-best 24 points per game.
Local Advertising by PaperG